Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Graphic Design: Boy Scout Banner

Provided with a pencil sketch and some direction, I had the opportunity to create a banner for a Boy Scout troop.


The finished banner. It's eight feet wide and one foot tall.
This banner will be used at the 2013 Boy Scout Jamboree.  The Jamboree is held every four years, and 50,000 scouts from all over the country attend.



Left
Center
Right


I wanted a cohesive design, and I also struggled with what scout activities should be depicted on the banner. With the fact that the banner is eight feet long and one foot tall, how do I prevent it from looking like a printed power point?
The provided sketch.

I decided to head in a simpler, cartoon style design, that would help the images fit together with a similar consistency. While laying out images, the idea to make the images bleed together and form a larger collage was born.

I don't recall ever seeing the 'cut out' filter in photoshop (and I've been using it for over a decade). That filter was exactly what I wanted, and now I'm trying to figure out how to utilize it in other projects- maybe some kind of roto-scoped video.

One important note, Boy Scouts wear tan uniforms and Cub Scouts blue. I had to update the final design because of this.

I anchored each end with the Washington Monument and a rock climbing scene. The raising of the flag was the perfect centerpiece.

The bulk of the work was arranging images to bleed together in the best way, blending the colors from the two images into each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger Widget