Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Novel Complete

I finished the novel in just three weeks during November, averaging  2,600 words a day. The title I finally chose is "The Cost of Living."

I started with only a premise- the protagonist dealing with the repercussions of accidentally killing someone.

 I didn't have an outline or a guide, and the novel took unexpected twists I hadn't anticipated as the characters developed. I had thought the last half might turn into a mystery/detective story, but it never materialized. I wondered whether the protagonist would get away with it or have to assume responsibility. It wasn't until the very end, but I finally figured it out. Many decisions weren't decided by me per se, but by the characters I had developed which was a fun way to generate content.

There were two times I thought I might not finish as I reached a block, but luckily I overcame.

The novel challenge was much easier this year than my first year challenge. The first time I attempted it (and completed), I was writing through Thanksgiving.

 Maybe I'll impose a challenge upon myself in the summer to write another novel.

I encourage everyone to check out NaNoWriMo next year. It's a lot of fun and if you complete it, you can say you wrote a novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger Widget