Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Build a Picnic Table

You could build a picnic table from scratch or you could start with a kit from a home improvement store and improve it.

Picnic Table Complete Stained Green
Raw materials alone will cost more than a kit. Factoring in time to cut and prepare each piece, a kit is the way to go. The kit is easy to assemble with the provided instructions. I could stop here, but I did additional finishing.
Assembled Sanded Not Stained

I sanded the entire table with an electric hand sander and 220 grit sandpaper. The finished table isn't super smooth, a good sanding will ensure it's smooth and will remove potential splinters.
Corner Showing Routing and Roundover

I drilled a hole in the center of the table with a hole saw to add an umbrella. Next I used a router to round all the corners, including the hole for the umbrella. Rounding the corners gives the table a finished look. It's all in the details. I mixed sawdust and wood glue to fill the screw holes in the bench section so the seat would be smooth.
Routing and Roundover at Bench

The last step was staining the table since only the legs are treated. I did three coats to ensure it holds up to the weather.

1 comment:

  1. I read your blog. It's very informative to me. Would you like to buy


    Mirka Abrasives | Deos

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Widget