Friday, February 5, 2021

Table Saw Stand Improvements

Table Saw Stand Upgrades

I needed a few improvements to make my table saw stand more efficient.

I needed the top of the table saw taller to out feed to my recently completed work bench, a shelf for pencils/bench dogs, a hanger for the fence, and a better push stick.


Purchase List: (all wood used was scrap so this was a low cost project)
6"x6"x8' pressure treated lumber - $40
(4) 1/2", 6" long bolts - $6
(8) 1/2" washers - $3
1/8" scrap plywood - $15/sheet
3/4" scrap plywood - $40/sheet
2" coarse thread screws - $7/box
1/8" scrap and 1" deck board
Subtotal: This depends on what you have on hand, I only bought bolts and washers

Tool List:
table saw with crosscut sled
circular saw
hand saw
band saw
drill with 1/2" and 1/8" bits
round rasp

Cut List:
(2) 15.5" long 6"x6" - table saw lift
(1) shelf 13"x3"
(2) shelf brackets 3"x3.5"
(2) fence brackets 6"x5"
(1) 1/8" ply push stick 11"x5"
(1) 1" deck board push stick 11"x5"
 
Table Saw Lift
The top of the table saw needed to be 5.5" taller, which is the exact dimension of a 6x6. If I needed less height, I would have trimmed down one face. If I needed more height I would have added 1/8", 1/4", 1/2", or 3/4" plywood spacers as needed. I cut the 6x6's to the width of the table saw base to 15.5". They are thicker than my table saw blade, so I cut all 4 sides on the table saw and used a hand saw to cut the center core the table saw couldn't reach.


I marked the existing bolts holes and drilled through the 6x6. I replaced the existing bolts with 6" long bolts, adding a washer at the bolt head and nut. Since my drill bit isn't long enough to go all the way through, I carefully marked the holes on each side of the lift and drilled from both sides. Use a rasp on the holes if needed.

Pencil Shelf
For the pencil shelf, I wanted it to angle back to prevent pencils rolling out. I wanted a gap against the table saw so it wouldn't collect sawdust, and I decided to make it removable for easy clean up. The brackets are slotted for 1/8" plywood with a tab at the top for a screw. I pre drilled screw holes. The shelf sits in the slots, it isn't attached. I cut the brackets on a band saw.


Fence Brackets
The fence brackets are wide enough for the fence with a tab at the top for a screw. I cupped the bracket so the fence couldn't slide off/out. I pre drilled screw holes.

Push Sticks
I cut a proof of concept out of 1/8" ply to check the size and decided to keep that one as sacrificial. I also cut a push stick out of 1" deck board and painted it with spray paint. I opted for 1" over 3/4" due to ergonomics. The fade is done by lightly feathering the spray paint from one color to the next. Painting is an unnecessary step for a push stick that will eventually get replaced, but I like the look anyway.
The shape of the handle is based on a saw handle I like. The notch towards the nose is for hanging the push stick off the table saw. The hood at the back helps push wood, while the long nose exerts vertical force on the work piece.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger Widget