Friday, January 4, 2019

DIY Hydraulic Press Concept

Make a Hydraulic Press
I decided to forgo this project when I discovered Harbor Freight sells approximately the same thing I was going to build for $80. I can't buy materials for less than that. I'm going to go ahead and post my notes anyway.

I have a lot of unfinished projects and concepts. I've decided to start posting my notes. This forces me to make them coherent if I ever come back to them, or they may be an idea for someone else.

Of course there are always things you discover during assembly, so I won't be able to add any insight there.

As with all my projects, I started in Sketchup. I started sketching this in February of 2018.
Did I want a desktop press or freestanding? The desktop takes up less space, but the freestanding gives me more options and capability. I could potentially press above or below the jack.
I decided on a desktop version as I don't need a press often.

References
A mini hydraulic press
Free standing ydraulic press

Desktop Press
The desktop version consists of (2) pieces of 3x6 channel screwed together with 3/4" threaded rod. The bottle jack mounts to the bottom channel. The top of the jack presses against the top channel.
A 6 ton bottle jack can be had for just $22.
I added conduit to cover the threads, as they are kind of sharp.

In the desktop version, the jack head does the pressing, which would also mean I'd need some tooling shapes. I planned to add tube attached to various plates that would slip over the jack head.
Desktop Materials:
  • (2) 12" long 0.325" C-channels 3x6"
  •  3" x 4" x 1/4" plate
  • (2) 3/4" - 10 threaded rod, 20" long.
  • (8) 3/4" washers 
  • (3) 3/4" lock washers 
  • (8) 3/4" nuts
  • (2) 3/4" ID electrical conduit, 18" long 
  • 1" round bar for tooling head
Freestanding Press
The freestanding press allows for a bigger jack.
I wanted holes along the side rails for pins to hold the center rail and reposition it. The jack rail is freestanding and moves up and down with channels along the posts. The springs help compress/retract the jack when done. Toolings could mount to the bottom of center press rail.

I liked the idea of an adjustable height center rail for various uses. In this version the jack head presses against the top rail presses the jack rail down against the center rail. The jack rail does the compressing.
The jack rail is a tube with channels on each end, but I don't know if I can get channels with the dimensions I want. I may need spacers or sliders.
Freestanding Materials:
  • (2) 4' long 0.325" C-channels 2x4"
  • (4) 2' long 0.325" C-channels 2x4"
  • (2) 2' long 1/4"x2" angle
  • (2) 6" x 8" x 1/4" plate
  • (8) 3/4" - 10 threaded rod, 8" long.
  • (8) 3/4" washers 
  • (3) 3/4" lock washers
  • (8) 3/4" nuts
  • (8) 3/4" ID electrical conduit, 3" long  
  • (2) 2x4" inner dimension channel
  • (1) 4x4" tube x 1'-7.5" long
Cost
I planned to check local steel prices. Big box stores don't carry these larger sizes.

Aluminum channel was going to be roughly $16 for a foot, threaded rod was $15, nuts/washers were $10, steel plate was $28,  $6 for conduit, and a jack for $22.

So the desktop version would have been roughly $118 in materials plus a jack. The Harbor Freight version is $65 on discount out the door also plus a jack.
The price difference is due to economy of scale. You get cheaper prices on materials when you buy a LOT of them. That's why I decided to forgo making this.

1 comment:


  1. Very useful information! Thank you for sharing the post, it has been helpful to me.
    Contact us for: Hydraulic Press Machine

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Widget