Friday, March 24, 2017

Totally '80s Photo Collage Portrait

Make an '80s Portrait
I painted a wild multi-color frame and needed a photograph for it that exuded class and style.

I started with this frame and was inspired to create a portrait for it. There's nothing classier than an '80s style portrait.
 Tools
 Supplies
The first step is a laser background. It screams '80s, and if I couldn't find the perfect '80s backdrop, this project was going to be totally bogus. If you google laser background, you'll be inundated with numerous baby blue and pink crossed laser images. They're perfect.
With this solid foundation, it's time to prep for your photo shoot with accessories. You need oversized glasses, a collared shirt or sweater (the more outdated the better), and an animal doesn't hurt. For some reason my dog was completely ashamed in the portrait. I can't understand why. This is pure awesome.
Hair needs to be incredibly bland or ridiculous. Your pick.
Armed with a tripod or a willing friend, capture a dozen images. It's always best to have a few choices. Take a few close ups, because the head shot in the background adds an insightful touch. It's best to use a solid colored backdrop. Green can make editing the background out easier, but any solid color works.
 
 
I tweaked the black/white balance in the images to give them a bit of contrast. I used the magic wand to get rid of the background with a soft small diameter brush cleaning up the edges. Start with your base and then add the close up in the background. Use a large diameter soft brush to get a good fade out for the close up. Working on a white background lets you see it better.

To top it off, I added an inspirational '80s quote, "Knowing is half the battle." Who doesn't love G.I. Joe? The ambiguity is spell binding. Is is something I know, something you know, or something you don't, but should? Is it something I don't know?
The questions are endless.
I printed the image on tabloid 11x17 paper and taped it to the cardboard backing that came with the picture frame.
I had to create a matte for the image, and a matte helps to separate the image from the frame.I used foam core as I had it on hand, but picture matte it typically thin cardboard. You can get a pre-cut matte, just check your frame size first.
Initially I created a matte with plain paper, but it didn't look good.
I went with a plain white matte because it separates the crazy frame from the crazy portrait. You won't want too much
 
This frame and portrait combination are radical dude. This is fit to hang in any private space or public office. Let people know you're one cool dude!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger Widget