Friday, December 1, 2023

Roller Chain Bracelet

Chain Bracelet

I see any kind of chain and I automatically think bracelet or necklace.

I wanted a simple and quick project and this was it. It also looks cool. I like the industrial look.

Purchase List (paid links):
#40 chain, #40 chain, #25 chain
14 gauge wire
Tool List:
-chain breaker or a hammer, nail, and nut
-dish detergent
-(2) needle nose pliers
-metal file (optional)

Introduction
I always think how cool a roller chain bracelet would look. Wanting a quick project, I finally made one. The biggest hurdle is the clasp.

Bracelet
I sized the chain to my wrist and use a chain breaker to shorten the chain. You don't want it too tight or too loose. I just wrapped the chain around my wrist and gave it some extra length. Make sure you break the chain so that an inside link and outsider plate meet. If you don't you'll need to add one length so the chain is continuous.

Chain breaker setup
Chain separated with pin
Budget chain breaker: nut, nail, and hammer
Straight the chain breaker post with a vice and hammer if needed

While a chain breaker is the easiest way, if you don't have one, you can use a hammer, nail, and nut. It just takes longer. A chain breaker has a clamp and rod to push the pin out of the chain. You twist the threaded rod with a wrench to push the pin out. Without a breaker, I place the nut below the pin, place the nail on the pin, and then hit it as hard as I can with a hammer. It's not elegant, but it works.

Once that was done I degreased the chain to remove any oil with dish soap. Let it soak for a couple of minutes, then wipe it down with a shop towel.

Clasp
I was thinking some kind of cotter pin and cotter pin and bolt setup. I don't want this thing permanently on my wrist, but I also want it to look professional. I also didn't want to buy anything. With those parameters I searched through my parts bin and came up with some ideas.

Potential pins from my hardware bins
Clasp 1 - a clip I had in my bins
Clip 2 - a 'C' clip
Final clip - a 'G' clip
Using (2) needle nose pliers to shape the wire

The alternative is to make the bracelet loose enough that it slides on and off, but that's too loose for my liking.

Shape and overall size of the final 'G' clip

The 'C' clip worked best, but it was too long. I tried making my own 'C' clip but was concerned it would fall out. I ended up using 14 gauge wire shaped in to an 'G' shape. I used needle nose pliers to shape it, and the shape with the leg prevents the clasp from sliding out. You could file the ends of the wire so they're less sharp. I didn't, as they don't contact skin.

Finish
I wish the clasp was the same color as the roller chain, but the bracelet is secure and won't fall off. I made this with recycled parts, so I didn't spend anything. That's always a plus.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger Widget