Friday, January 1, 2016

Revisiting My Favorite Childhood Movies

Are the movies I loved as a kid actually good? I revisited my favorite movies from long ago. Did I have good taste? Do these movies hold up?

Harold Ramis, Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd in Ghostbusters
Ghostbusters - Comedy and special eff

Ghostbusters (1984)
Watch Ghostbusters
 
I remember for years, thinking the movie ended after the library monster transformed. That was the point at which I would run away and hide behind the sofa. This happened multiple times. I don't know where my parents were or why they kept letting me see the movie. at a young age. I know for a fact I couldn't operate the VCR at that point which means they had to start the movie for me.

Ghostbusters is still one of my favorite movies. It blends comedy, sci-fi, and even romance. Few movies can put a fifty-foot tall marshmallow man on screen and have us buy in. This movie did just that. It's infinitely quotable, has a great song, and invented the proton pack.


James Hong in Big Trouble in Little China
Big Trouble in Little China - A contemporary Western with an unlikely hero.

Big Trouble in Little China (1986)
Watch Big Trouble in Little China

As a kid I was astounded that this movie never got a sequel. Jack Burton was awesome. I'd pretend to have a knife in my boot, ready to defeat Lo Pan.
Watching it now it's much deeper than I realized. It's a spoof on the typical American action hero. In this movie, the hero is inept and completely out of his depth. The sidekick is the one that gets things done. It's a fun action movie, while also commenting on the genre and cliched characters.


David Prowse in Star Wars Episode IV
Star Wars Episode IV -

Star Wars Episode IV (1977)
Watch Star Wars
I would watch the Star Wars movies and then create space ships with Lego bricks. I lost count of how many times I watched these films.
Star Wars is classic, and it was likely my introduction into science fiction. As a kid we want to believe we're destined for greatness. Even Harry Potter tapped into the same emotions. A typical kid finds out his destiny is save the world. Past that, Star Wars has great characters, and the best characters aren't the main character, see Han Solo and Darth Vader.

Apparently I had great taste as a kid. I still like these movies, and that's not just nostalgia talking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger Widget