Friday, September 22, 2017

Duct Tape Dummy / Make a Mannequin

Make a Mannequin
I'm making a costume for Halloween and needed a replica of my body so I wouldn't have to keep trying on the costume to check the fit. I'll show you a cheap and easy way to create a mannequin of yourself.

Materials:
  • Duct tape - About 1,000 feet
  • Plastic Wrap - 1 box should do
  • Expanding foam or old clothe
  • Optional - A PVC or wood frame/stand
Tools:
  • Someone to help you. This process just can't be done alone.
  • Scissors to cut the duct tape off
  • Optional - Various tools for frame making, saws, etc
My Halloween costume this year is an extensive body suit. Since I'll be doing a lot of work on the costume, I need it on a mannequin so that it will maintain its shape and I don't have to keep trying it on. Not just any mannequin will do, I need to ensure it will fit me, so this is the solution.
I avoided baggy clothes. I didn't want to distort the shape of my body. You want to wear form fitting clothes so you get an accurate recreation of yourself. I wrapped myself in plastic wrap. There are alternatives like a painter's suit, but this is one of the cheaper options. This way duct tape doesn't stick to you or your clothes. Make sure you have sufficient coverage. A double layer won't hurt anything.
Get to taping. I'm 5'-10", 150 pounds, so guesstimate the tape needed off of that. You don't want to pull the tape too tight or continuously wrap it, and short strips are definitely the way to go. If you try to do a continuous wrap, it will get too tight and create strange compression lines. Keeping it comfortable/looser also makes it easier to cut off. The tighter you make it, the more difficult it is to slide scissors between your skin and the tape. You want it firm, but not tight.

I taped from ankles to wrists and neck. Run vertical strips for bracing. They don't have to be continuous. Then tape horizontally. Two layers of tape is ideal, just to ensure no leaks in the next step. While I did just one layer of tape I did have some blow out areas as I stuffed it. Just do short strips, continuous taping will make the suit too tight and potentially create distortion lines as it compresses your skin.
Plastic wrap does make it a bit humid, be forewarned. Confirm you've covered all areas. Start cutting. I cut ankles to above the knee, wrists to upper arm, and from neck down to waist along the side.

Plastic wrap doesn't slide very easily and if you made the suit a bit too tight as I did, extricating yourself can be tricky. Once I was out I taped the seam of the arms and legs, but left the slit down the side open for now.

I created a quick U shaped frame out of 3/4" plywood. The base is 17" wide and the uprights are 42" tall. As of right now it won't stand up on it's own. I may add more to the base if I deem that necessary.
Once the mannequin was on the frame I began stuffing old clothes into the mannequin to fill the void. I had just cleaned out my closet so I had plenty of stuffing. Since I did just one layer of tape I had a few blow outs during stuffing, but just taped the opening up again.
Once you stuff the legs enough, it won't slide down the frame anymore. Tape up the slit and keep stuffing. I did rework a few spots that had odd bulges or weren't completely filled. While it may not be perfect, it's better than anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger Widget