Thursday, April 20, 2017

Jewelry Box or Tool Box Organizing Insert

Organize Your Jewelry Box or Tool Box
A drawer without organization becomes a mess quickly.

While I built this foam insert for a jewelry box, you can employ this technique for any number of organizing needs; tools, nuts & bolts, etc.
Supplies:
Tools:
  • Table Saw
  • Plywood or a 2x4 to ballast the foam
  • Hobby blades
I don't remember where I got this foam, though I know it was used for packaging some other item. This is why I save things, sometimes that is beneficial. The first link is very similar to what I used. EVA foam is cheaper but doesn't compress as much. If you are just cutting out inserts for tools, EVA foam would be fine for that.
First, measure your drawer and cut the foam to size. While I used a table saw and cross cut table saw sled (link to build), you could just as easily use a hobby knife or even a hand saw. I used a table saw because I wanted crisp lines. If you use a power tool, you need to use wood to ballast the foam. It's too light by itself to run through the saw. The saw will just sling it out and tear it up.
You can also sand the edge of the foam if it's slightly too large to fit the drawer after cutting.

Determine the spacing of the rows and the height of your saw blade. I spaced them  1" from the top and then 1/2" on center, and made the cuts 3/8" deep.You don't want to cut through the foam. I made four slots.
While I cut a shelf into the foam, it's pointless. It reduces drawer depth while not adding any function. It seemed like a nice idea, but obviously it is not.
 
I cut the shelf with a handsaw. To do it on a table saw you would need a zero clearance insert, otherwise the foam will just get sucked into the insert opening and ruin it, but the shelf serves no point. It just takes up drawer depth. If I did this again, I wouldn't make a shelf, I'd either cut it clean off or make slots all the way across.
This could also work as bolt storage or part storage. You could cut openings custom fit to tools or various objects with this foam or EVA foam.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger Widget